Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Fifty-Seven Hours. Not That I Was Counting or Anything.

If you follow me on Twitter, you are aware that my power finally came back on last night at 12:30 in the morning. If you follow me on Twitter, you are also aware that I am a whiny, whiny person. I very much did not care for being without power. 

I am a person who is very happy to be living in the twenty-first century with lights, television, and all of the assorted little red, blue, and green lights that tell me that my electronics are humming along and all is right with the world.

That candle up there? Staring at it for two and a half days got really, really old.

Thank God for my iPhone, is all I can say. It let me complain away on twitter for all FIFTY-SEVEN HOURS that we didn't have power. Here's how it all went down.

My family was out while I was working at home. Per usual, I had my TweetDeck open to keep me company. At some point, I saw some local chatter about thunderstorms, and not just thunderstorms, but extreme thunderstorms. I glanced outside and saw that the sky was darkening. Then...

Then this alarming tweet came up. Naturally, I immediately retweeted it, not wanting to be the only one FREAKED OUT!

Shortly after that, the power went out for good.

Sitting on my couch, wondering what to do, I suddenly noticed that I was not clean. My first instinct was to jump into the shower, as I really had nothing else to do. But something about that idea, so I checked with twitter.

One person told me to go ahead and then about ten of y'all yelled words at me in capital letters, many of those words being "NO" and "ELECTROCUTION." So I decided to wait.

Evidenced by the shortage of whiny tweets, it seems that the first day of our power outage was not too bad. Oh, wait. I know why isn't wasn't too bad. I went out to dinner in Virginia.

Day Two started to get a little bit wearying, however. Local power company, Pepco, was everywhere and nowhere.

That Pepco truck was going somewhere else.

Then our food started to go. Alex had bought bags of ice, which lengthened the rotting time of our groceries, but inevitably we started to throw things away.

That vodka is the only refrigerated item that we didn't have to throw out.

Later that night, reading by candlelight (I know. Now I'm EXACTLY like Abraham Lincoln.), words started to fail me.

Except for the word "fuck." That word held up.

I was hopeful that I would wake up to power the next morning. No such luck.

It was around this time that Alex and I started to say things like, "Dude, this sucks," and "This is the worst ever." Alex's experience might have been even worse than mine due to the fact that he stayed home from work Monday and Tuesday because he was sick. This might have been the worst timing for a sinus infection ever.

Sam had a little respite when he went to a buddy's house for a sleepover. I'm sure our house was a dank, depressing place to come home to.

Things went downhill from there.

All told, my kids did pretty well without power. They were a little whiny and a little put out, but I'd say that they held it together even better than Alex and I did. Although there was one night when Quinn woke up in the middle of the night, yelled, "Is the power on?" and then went back to sleep.

They found ways to keep themselves busy though.

They were Sam's kittens. He'd made pens for them.

It was around this time that Alex and my whining started to get more vehement. Bickering over who got to use the iPhone and whether we needed to take it back out to the car to charge it intensified.

Clearly we needed to get out of the house. Well, most of us did.

Don't worry. We went back for him.

By the time we got home, it seemed like everyone else in the world had their power back. Alex kept obsessively checking the Pepco stats on number of customers without power and informing me that our little club was becoming more exclusive. "Only 100,000!" "Now only 74,000!" "61,000!"

Me: "That doesn't make me feel better."

We finally got through to the line that was supposed to tell us when the power would be on.

I didn't believe them, but I hoped. 11:28...11:29...11:30...11:31...11:44...11:53...12:00...12:01...

I tried sleeping in my upstairs bedroom, but it was too hot. I tried sleeping on the couch, but it was too hot. I finally wedged myself into Sam's (occupied) bed because it was the only bed close to an open window.

Then, at 12:30 in the morning...

I just laid there for a minute. I was so happy. I know there are so many worse things in the world than not having power for a couple of days. Of course, it was only once the power came back on that I could recognize that. For now, I am very grateful for light and air conditioning and internet access.

Now I will shut up about the whole thing. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! May you be visited by unicorns and kittens.